God Closes Doors, Opens Others
In this account, Paul and his companions are prevented from traveling to certain areas in Asia. Instead, through a dream, they are directed to the Roman colony, Philippi, in the region of Macdeonia. There, apparently, the Gospel is spread for the first time in Europe.
They meet Lydia, a God-fearing woman of some means. She becomes a believer and puts her faith into action.
- God can providentially close certain doors and open other doors – even supernaturally – for us to accomplish His purpose
- God’s directing should be thought about carefully – likely with the counsel of others
- “The Spirit’s interventions did not frustrate Paul’s strategy, but enhanced its effectiveness” (Bruce, 308)
- We are commanded to preach the Gospel and make disciples of all nations (Mt 28:19-20, etc.); people are commanded to repent (Ac 17:30, etc.)
- Yet, we must remember that God is in control
- Genuine faith(fulness) produces faithful actions as a response to God’s grace
Video — Dreams of Jesus in the Muslim World: A Trend
This video is embedded in the fourth slide but will not play in the slideshow that is embedded below. I highly recommend the book by Tom Doyle, Dreams and Visions: Is Jesus Awakening the Muslim World?
To download this slideshow and any others, please visit the C4C DropBox.
- Bruce, F. F. The Book of the Acts. The New International Commentary on the New Testament. Grand Rapids, MI: Wm. B. Eerdmans Publishing Co., 1988.
- Keener, Craig S. Acts: An Exegetical Commentary: 15:1–23:35. Vol. 3. Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Academic, 2014.
- Keener, Craig S. The IVP Bible Background Commentary: New Testament. Downers Grove, IL: InterVarsity Press, 1993.
- Larkin, William J., Jr. Acts. Vol. 5. The IVP New Testament Commentary Series. Westmont, IL: IVP Academic, 1995.
- Marshall, I. Howard. Acts: An Introduction and Commentary. Vol. 5. Tyndale New Testament Commentaries. Downers Grove, IL: InterVarsity Press, 1980.
- Polhill, John B. Acts. Vol. 26. The New American Commentary. Nashville: Broadman & Holman Publishers, 1992.
- Stott, John R. W. The Message of Acts: The Spirit, the Church & the World. The Bible Speaks Today. Leicester, England; Downers Grove, IL: InterVarsity Press, 1994.
- Trites, Allison A., William J. Larkin. Cornerstone Biblical Commentary, Vol 12: The Gospel of Luke and Acts. Carol Stream, IL: Tyndale House Publishers, 2006.