…And Lean Not On Your Own Understanding
This study (first shared 6.5.19) is an outgrowth of a previous (short) sermon based on Proverbs 21:2 entitled, “By the Way, Our Ways Are Weighed by the LORD”.
I also added commentary on two of the most popular Bible verses (Pr 3:5-6), as well as the “motto” of the book of Proverbs (Pr 1:7 cf. Pr 9:10).
- The fear of the LORD is the foundation of true knowledge and wisdom (Pr 1:7, 9:10)
- We must acknowledge that we creatures lack the knowledge and wisdom of the Creator
- It only makes sense to follow the Creator of life’s instructions for life
- We are to trust in the LORD entirely and exclusively, not in our feeble understanding (Pr 3:5)
- In everything we do, we are to submit to Him, and He will make our paths straight (morally) (Pr 3:6)
- We cannot rely on our own moral compass and ethical judgments, it is the LORD who is the ultimate judge (Pr 21:2)
This video is embedded in the third slide, but the video will not play in the slideshow below.
To download this slideshow (and any others!) please visit the C4C DropBox.
- Garrett, Duane A. Proverbs, Ecclesiastes, Song of Songs. Vol. 14. The New American Commentary. Nashville: Broadman & Holman Publishers, 1993.
- Goldingay, John E. “Proverbs.” In New Bible Commentary: 21st Century Edition, edited by D. A. Carson, R. T. France, J. A. Motyer, and G. J. Wenham, 4th ed., 584–608. Leicester, England; Downers Grove, IL: Inter-Varsity Press, 1994.
- Harris, R. Laird, Gleason L. Archer Jr., and Bruce K. Waltke, eds. Theological Wordbook of the Old Testament. Chicago: Moody Press, 1999.
- Matthews, Victor Harold, Mark W. Chavalas, and John H. Walton. The IVP Bible Background Commentary: Old Testament. Electronic ed. Downers Grove, IL: InterVarsity Press, 2000.
- Murphy, Roland E., and O. Carm. “Proverbs.” In Proverbs, Ecclesiastes, Song of Songs, edited by W. Ward Gasque, Robert L. Hubbard Jr., and Robert K. Johnston. Understanding the Bible Commentary Series. Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Books, 2012.
- Kidner, Derek. Proverbs: An Introduction and Commentary. Vol. 17. Tyndale Old Testament Commentaries. Downers Grove, IL: InterVarsity Press, 1964.
- Longman, Tremper, III. Baker Commentary on the Old Testament: Proverbs. Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Academic, 2006.
- Schwab, George M. “The Book of Proverbs.” In Cornerstone Biblical Commentary, Vol 7: The Book of Psalms, The Book of Proverbs. Carol Stream, IL: Tyndale House Publishers, 2009.
- VanGemeren, Willem, ed. New International Dictionary of Old Testament Theology & Exegesis. Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan Publishing House, 1997.
- Waltke, Bruce K. The Book of Proverbs, Chapters 1–15. The New International Commentary on the Old Testament. Grand Rapids, MI: Wm. B. Eerdmans Publishing Co., 2004.
- Wilson, Lindsay. Proverbs: An Introduction and Commentary. Edited by David G. Firth. Vol. 17. Tyndale Old Testament Commentaries. London: Inter-Varsity Press, 2017.