Here are the PowerPoint slides from Sunday’s (10.14.18) lesson on the Ten Commandments (Part II). After the introductory lesson last week, this lesson aims to cover some of the potential structure of the X Commandments, and Commandments II-IV.
The Israelites were told not to think of nor treat the living God as a pagan god (Ex. 20:4-6), to not say the LORD’s (YHWH) name in vain (Ex 20:7), and they were told to remember the Sabbath Day — imitating God’s first “work week” (Ex 20:8-11).
Updated Slides Here <– (just a few minor changes)
Please view and/or download the slides below. Sources are listed in the presentation and at the bottom of the page.
- Alexander, T. Desmond. “Exodus.” In New Bible Commentary: 21st Century Edition, edited by D. A. Carson, R. T. France, J. A. Motyer, and G. J. Wenham, 4th ed., 92–120. Leicester, England; Downers Grove, IL: Inter-Varsity Press, 1994.
- Alexander, T. Desmond. Exodus. Edited by David W. Baker and Gordon J. Wenham. Vol. 2. Apollos Old Testament Commentary. London; Downers Grove, IL: Apollos; InterVarsity Press, 2017.
- Allen, R. Michael. ET101 Law and Gospel: The Basis of Christian Ethics. Logos Mobile Education. Bellingham, WA: Lexham Press, 2016.
- Bruckner, James K. Exodus. Edited by W. Ward Gasque, Robert L. Hubbard Jr., and Robert K. Johnston. Understanding the Bible Commentary Series. Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Books, 2012.
- Cole, R. Alan. Exodus: An Introduction and Commentary. Vol. 2. Tyndale Old Testament Commentaries. Downers Grove, IL: InterVarsity Press, 1973.
- Durham, John I. Exodus. Vol. 3. Word Biblical Commentary. Dallas: Word, Incorporated, 1998.
- Elwell, Walter A. Evangelical Commentary on the Bible. Vol. 3. Baker Reference Library. Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Book House, 1995.
- Enns, Peter. Exodus. The NIV Application Commentary. Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan, 2000.
- Fee, Gordon D., and Robert L. Hubbard Jr., eds. The Eerdmans Companion to the Bible. Grand Rapids, MI; Cambridge, U.K.: William B. Eerdmans Publishing Company, 2011.
- Hamilton, Victor P. Exodus: An Exegetical Commentary. Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Academic, 2011.
- Matthews, Victor Harold, Mark W. Chavalas, and John H. Walton. The IVP Bible Background Commentary: Old Testament. Electronic ed. Downers Grove, IL: InterVarsity Press, 2000.
- Motyer, Alec. The Message of Exodus: The Days of Our Pilgrimage. Edited by Alec Motyer and Derek Tidball. The Bible Speaks Today. Nottingham, England: Inter-Varsity Press, 2005.
- Sarna, Nahum M. Exodus. The JPS Torah Commentary. Philadelphia: Jewish Publication Society, 1991.
- Stuart, Douglas K. Exodus. Vol. 2. The New American Commentary. Nashville: Broadman & Holman Publishers, 2006.
- Walton, John H. Zondervan Illustrated Bible Backgrounds Commentary (Old Testament): Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy. Vol. 1. Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan, 2009.