- Bible Study Audio
- Bible Study Video
- Live Stream Recording
- Bible Study Slideshow
What Are We Training For?
What are we training for? Are we training ourselves to resemble the culture or are we training ourselves to resemble the Christ?
Are we developing and maintaining worldly habits or are we developing and maintaining godly habits?
If we profess that “Jesus is Lord”, we ought to be Cross Training as hard as we can – training ourselves to be like Christ. Let’s give our everything to the One who gave us everything.
Paul says that we should run the Christian race as if we were trying to win first prize – a way that requires discipline and self-control.
Moreso than physically, spiritually we have to stay in shape. We must train our hearts to surrender to the Savior. We must train our minds to be renewed by the Redeemer.
We must have a healthy, spiritual diet and exercise routine, so that we might bring every facet of our lives under control – for the sake of the Gospel – and with the help of the Holy Spirit.
And we do so not for earthly glory that fades, but everlasting glory that will never pass away.
We gotta run this race and pick up the pace
Keep your eyes on the prize; run to win first place
Master your body, train yourself to be godly
Don’t care if they stare or look at you oddly
Because we’re disciples, a spiritual witness
And we need discipline for spiritual fitness
So, if you’re not maintaining or you think that you’ve lost-it
Let’s get back to Cross Training, so we can be Cross-Fit
24 Don’t you know that in a stadium all the runners run but only one gets the prize? Likewise, run to win. 25 Everyone who competes exercises self-control in everything. They do so for a crown that is perishable. We do so for one that is imperishable. 26 Therefore, I, likewise, do not run aimlessly. Nor do I box like beating air. 27 Rather, I strike my body and make it my slave – lest after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified. (1 Cor 9:24-27, AT)
Bible Study Audio
To hear the audio from the study only, please click the play button below. To download the audio, please click the button on the left in the top-right corner.
Bible Study Video
To view the (edited) video of the study only, please click the play button below.
Live Stream Recording
To view the video from the entire live stream — including Praise & Worship, announcements, etc., please click the play button below:
Bible Study Slideshow
To download the .PDF, please click the second button from the left on the bottom toolbar.
- Arndt, William, Frederick W. Danker, Walter Bauer, and F. Wilbur Gingrich. A Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament and Other Early Christian Literature. Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 2000.
- Blomberg, Craig. 1 Corinthians. The NIV Application Commentary. Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan Publishing House, 1994.
- Chilton, Bruce, Philip W. Comfort, and Michael O. Wise. “Temple, Jewish.” Dictionary of New Testament Background: A Compendium of Contemporary Biblical Scholarship. Downers Grove, IL: InterVarsity Press, 2000. [DNTB]
- Ciampa, Roy E., and Brian S. Rosner. The First Letter to the Corinthians. The Pillar New Testament Commentary. Grand Rapids, MI; Cambridge, U.K.: William B. Eerdmans Publishing Company, 2010.
- Davey, Graham C.L. “The Psychological Effects of TV News”. June 19, 2012. Psychology Today. https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/why-we-worry/201206/the-psychological-effects-tv-news
- Davis, James A. “1-2 Corinthians.” In Evangelical Commentary on the Bible, 3:958–97. Baker Reference Library. Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Book House, 1995.
- Dockery, David S., ed. Holman Bible Handbook. Nashville, TN: Holman Bible Publishers, 1992.
- Fee, Gordon D. The First Epistle to the Corinthians. Edited by Ned B. Stonehouse, F. F. Bruce, Gordon D. Fee, and Joel B. Green. Revised Edition. The New International Commentary on the New Testament. Grand Rapids, MI; Cambridge, U.K.: William B. Eerdmans Publishing Company, 2014.
- France, R. T. Matthew: An Introduction and Commentary. Vol. 1. Tyndale New Testament Commentaries. Downers Grove, IL: InterVarsity Press, 1985.
- Freeman, James M., and Harold J. Chadwick. Manners & Customs of the Bible. North Brunswick, NJ: Bridge-Logos Publishers, 1998.
- Keener, Craig S. The IVP Bible Background Commentary: New Testament. Second Edition. Downers Grove, IL: IVP Academic: An Imprint of InterVarsity Press, 2014. [IVPB]
- Keener, Craig S. The IVP Bible Background Commentary: New Testament. Downers Grove, IL: InterVarsity Press, 1993.
- Khan, Amina. “Why does so much news seem negative? Human attention may be to blame”. September 5, 2019. Los Angeles Times. https://www.latimes.com/science/story/2019-09-05/why-people-respond-to-negative-news.
- Morris, Leon. 1 Corinthians: An Introduction and Commentary. Vol. 7. Tyndale New Testament Commentaries. Downers Grove, IL: InterVarsity Press, 1985.
- Prior, David. The Message of 1 Corinthians: Life in the Local Church. The Bible Speaks Today. Leicester, England; Downers Grove, IL: InterVarsity Press, 1985.
- Schreiner, Thomas R. 1 Corinthians: An Introduction and Commentary. Edited by Eckhard J. Schnabel. Vol. 7. Tyndale New Testament Commentaries. London: Inter-Varsity Press, 2018.
- Serani, Deborah. “If It Bleeds, It Leads: Understanding Fear-Based Media”. June 7, 2011. Psychology Today. https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/two-takes-depression/201106/if-it-bleeds-it-leads-understanding-fear-based-media
- Silva, Moisés, ed. New International Dictionary of New Testament Theology and Exegesis. Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan, 2014.
- Simmons, William A. Peoples of the New Testament World: An Illustrated Guide. Peabody, MA: Hendrickson Publishers, 2008.
- Taylor, Mark. 1 Corinthians. Edited by E. Ray Clendenen. Vol. 28. The New American Commentary. Nashville, TN: B&H Publishing Group, 2014.
- Thiselton, Anthony C. The First Epistle to the Corinthians: A Commentary on the Greek Text. New International Greek Testament Commentary. Grand Rapids, MI: W.B. Eerdmans, 2000.
- Vaughan, Curtis, and Thomas D. Lea. 1 Corinthians. Founders Study Guide Commentary. Cape Coral, FL: Founders Press, 2002.
- Water, Mark. The New Encyclopedia of Christian Quotations. Alresford, Hampshire: John Hunt Publishers Ltd, 2000.
- Winter, Bruce. “1 Corinthians.” In New Bible Commentary: 21st Century Edition, edited by D. A. Carson, R. T. France, J. A. Motyer, and G. J. Wenham, 4th ed., 1161–87. Leicester, England; Downers Grove, IL: Inter-Varsity Press, 1994.