Here are the slides to Sunday’s (10.21.18) lesson on the Ten Commandments (Part III). After reviewing some material covered in the first and second lessons, I aim to transition from the first group of commands that concern how we are to love God (I-IV) to the second group of commands that concern how we are to love others (V-X).
This is common grouping reflects the First (Love God with all your heart… Dt 6:5 cf. Mt 22:37-38) and Second Greatest Commandments (Love your neighbor as yourself… Lev 19:18 cf. Mt 22:39-40) — according to Jesus.
Some scholars point out that the Ten Commandments (Ex 20:1-17) instruct us how to properly prioritize our lives:
- God (I-IV)
- Family (V)
- Others (VI-X)
The purpose of our lives, as with Israel, is to be a kingdom of priests (Ex 19:6 cf. 1 Pet 2:19, Rev 1:6) through whom God will bless all nations (Gen 12:2-3, Gal 3:8).
Please view/download the slides below. Sources are listed at the bottom of the page.
- Alexander, T. Desmond. “Exodus.” In New Bible Commentary: 21st Century Edition, edited by D. A. Carson, R. T. France, J. A. Motyer, and G. J. Wenham, 4th ed., 92–120. Leicester, England; Downers Grove, IL: Inter-Varsity Press, 1994.
- Alexander, T. Desmond. Exodus. Edited by David W. Baker and Gordon J. Wenham. Vol. 2. Apollos Old Testament Commentary. London; Downers Grove, IL: Apollos; InterVarsity Press, 2017.
- Allen, R. Michael. ET101 Law and Gospel: The Basis of Christian Ethics. Logos Mobile Education. Bellingham, WA: Lexham Press, 2016.
- Barnett, Paul. The Second Epistle to the Corinthians. The New International Commentary on the New Testament. Grand Rapids, MI: Wm. B. Eerdmans Publishing Co., 1997.
- Bruckner, James K. Exodus. Edited by W. Ward Gasque, Robert L. Hubbard Jr., and Robert K. Johnston. Understanding the Bible Commentary Series. Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Books, 2012.
- Cole, R. Alan. Exodus: An Introduction and Commentary. Vol. 2. Tyndale Old Testament Commentaries. Downers Grove, IL: InterVarsity Press, 1973.
- Durham, John I. Exodus. Vol. 3. Word Biblical Commentary. Dallas: Word, Incorporated, 1998.
- Elwell, Walter A. Evangelical Commentary on the Bible. Vol. 3. Baker Reference Library. Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Book House, 1995.
- Enns, Peter. Exodus. The NIV Application Commentary. Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan, 2000.
- Fee, Gordon D., and Robert L. Hubbard Jr., eds. The Eerdmans Companion to the Bible. Grand Rapids, MI; Cambridge, U.K.: William B. Eerdmans Publishing Company, 2011.
- France, R. T. The Gospel of Matthew. The New International Commentary on the New Testament. Grand Rapids, MI: Wm. B. Eerdmans Publication Co., 2007.
- Hamilton, Victor P. Exodus: An Exegetical Commentary. Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Academic, 2011.
- Matthews, Victor Harold, Mark W. Chavalas, and John H. Walton. The IVP Bible Background Commentary: Old Testament. Electronic ed. Downers Grove, IL: InterVarsity Press, 2000.
- Motyer, Alec. The Message of Exodus: The Days of Our Pilgrimage. Edited by Alec Motyer and Derek Tidball. The Bible Speaks Today. Nottingham, England: Inter-Varsity Press, 2005.
- Sarna, Nahum M. Exodus. The JPS Torah Commentary. Philadelphia: Jewish Publication Society, 1991.
- Stuart, Douglas K. Exodus. Vol. 2. The New American Commentary. Nashville: Broadman & Holman Publishers, 2006.
- Walton, John H. Zondervan Illustrated Bible Backgrounds Commentary (Old Testament): Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy. Vol. 1. Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan, 2009.