- Bible Study Audio
- Bible Study Video
- Live Stream Recording
- Bible Study Slideshow
Do you determine your purpose or do you discern your purpose? Do you determine your purpose, or do you detect your purpose? Do you determine your purpose, or do you discover your purpose?
The way we all answer this can undergird every major decision we make in life.
What the question is getting at is: do we try to find our own way in life, live how we want to live? Or do we find out how we should live life, and live how we ought to live?
I believe the theology of Psalm 1 addresses this question. According to the Psalmist, ultimately, there are two ways to live life. We can live in a way contrary to God’s character or in a way conforming to God’s character.
We can live life as directed, or live life as selected – according to God’s directions or according to our selections.
The Two Ways have two different destinations. The self-directed way of the wicked leads to instability and destruction. The divinely-directed way of the righteous leads to true bliss and (godly) prosperity.
Truly blissful is the one who is not comfortable in the counsel of those who scoff at God, but delights in meditating on the instructions of God.
Perhaps the Creator of life knows a little more about how life should be lived than the creatures He gave life… Maybe we should follow His instructions and not leave the manual on the shelf.
Fish were created to be in water. Thus, fish are most happy in water. We were created to be in relationship with God. Thus, we are most happy in relationship with God.
We hope to finish our study of Psalm 1 next week.
After being voted to become a full-time minister at Alpha Baptist Church, i thought it wise to revisit the first passage i ever preached at the church almost three years ago (see my trial sermon on Psalm 1, my second sermon on Psalm 1 during morning service, and a previous Bible Study on Psalm 1).
God is good!
Blissful is the one who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked,
or stand in the way of sinners,
or dwell in the assembly of mockers (Ps 1:1, AT)
but rather in the law of the LORD they delight;
and on His law they meditate day and night (Ps 1:2, AT)
Bible Study Audio
To hear the audio from the study only, please click the play button below. To download the audio, please click the button on the left in the top-right corner.
Bible Study Video
To view the (edited) video of the study only, please click the play button below.
Live Stream Recording
To view the video from the entire live stream — including Praise & Worship, announcements, etc., please click the play button below:
I used a clip of copyrighted material, thus Facebook will not allow me to embed this video. This is the Facebook Live Stream recording that was uploaded to Vimeo.
Bible Study Slideshow
This is the slideshow for the entire Psalm 1 Bible Study. This slideshow has been updated after Part II.
To download this slideshow, please click –> Psalm 1 Bible Study | 11.18.20, 11.25.20
- Boice, James Montgomery. Psalms 1–41: An Expositional Commentary. Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Books, 2005.
- Broyles, Craig C. Psalms. Edited by W. Ward Gasque, Robert L. Hubbard Jr., and Robert K. Johnston. Understanding the Bible Commentary Series. Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Books, 2012.
- Davis, Barry. “Psalms”. In The Baker Illustrated Bible Commentary, edited by Gary M. Burge, and Andrew E. Hill. Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Books, 2012.
- Futato, Mark D. “The Book of Psalms.” In Cornerstone Biblical Commentary, Vol 7: The Book of Psalms, The Book of Proverbs. Carol Stream, IL: Tyndale House Publishers, 2009.
- Goldingay, John. Baker Commentary on the Old Testament: Psalms 1–41. Edited by Tremper Longman III. Vol. 1. Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Academic, 2006.
- Greidanus, Sidney. Preaching Christ from Psalms: Foundations for Expository Sermons in the Christian Year. Grand Rapids, MI: William B. Eerdmans Publishing Company, 2016.
- Jacobson, Rolf A., and Beth Tanner. “Book One of the Psalter: Psalms 1–41.” In The Book of Psalms, edited by E. J. Young, R. K. Harrison, and Robert L. Hubbard Jr. The New International Commentary on the Old Testament. Grand Rapids, MI; Cambridge, U.K.: William B. Eerdmans Publishing Company, 2014.
- Jones, Christine Brown. “Psalms.” In The Baker Illustrated Bible Background Commentary, edited by J. Scott Duvall and J. Daniel Hays, 422–57. Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Books, 2020.
- Kidner, Derek. Psalms 1–72: An Introduction and Commentary. Vol. 15. Tyndale Old Testament Commentaries. Downers Grove, IL: InterVarsity Press, 1973.
- Kraus, Hans-Joachim. A Continental Commentary: Psalms 1–59. Minneapolis, MN: Fortress Press, 1993.
- Hilber, John W. “Psalms”. In Zondervan Illustrated Bible Backgrounds Commentary (Old Testament): The Minor Prophets, Job, Psalms, Proverbs, Ecclesiastes, Song of Songs, edited by John H. Walton. Vol. 5. Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan, 2009.
- Longman, Tremper, III, and Peter Enns, eds. Dictionary of the Old Testament: Wisdom, Poetry & Writings. Downers Grove, IL; Nottingham, England: IVP Academic; Inter-Varsity Press, 2008.
- Longman, Tremper, III. Psalms: An Introduction and Commentary. Edited by David G. Firth. Vol. 15–16. The Tyndale Commentary Series. Nottingham, England: Inter-Varsity Press, 2014.
- Matthews, Victor Harold, Mark W. Chavalas, and John H. Walton. The IVP Bible Background Commentary: Old Testament. Electronic ed. Downers Grove, IL: InterVarsity Press, 2000. [IVP]
- Motyer, J. A. “The Psalms.” In New Bible Commentary: 21st Century Edition, edited by D. A. Carson, R. T. France, J. A. Motyer, and G. J. Wenham, 4th ed., 485–583. Leicester, England; Downers Grove, IL: Inter-Varsity Press, 1994.
- Waltke, Bruce K., James M. Houston, and Erika Moore. The Psalms as Christian Worship: A Historical Commentary. Grand Rapids, MI; Cambridge, U.K.: William B. Eerdmans Publishing Company, 2010.
- White, R. E. O. “Psalms.” In Evangelical Commentary on the Bible, 3:367–98. Baker Reference Library. Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Book House, 1995.
- Wilcock, Michael. The Message of Psalms: Songs for the People of God. Edited by J. A. Motyer. The Bible Speaks Today. Nottingham, England: Inter-Varsity Press, 2001.
- Wilson, Gerald H. Psalms. Vol. 1. The NIV Application Commentary. Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan, 2002.